The other day I discovered that some data I was trying to display in a TEXT control was being truncated. At first I thought it was because of the way I was using the text control, here was my initial question on the CW-Talk skype chat:

Ok, I have one for you… So I have this on a window:

TEXT,AT(110,40,418,308),USE(?MyText),VSCROLL

and at runtime put a string into the control like this:

?MyText{PROP:Text} = ‘blah blah’

Not sure why I used PROP:Text but it turns out this seems to work, mostly. However, it appears to have a limit of around 1000 chrs. My question, is this a valid way to use the TEXT control?
Follow up questions, is there a way to use the text control in the way I have declared it, without a variable, but not be limited in length?

Of course as soon as I posted it I figured out what I was doing wrong. Everywhere in my procedure I was using a string class to provide dynamically sized storage for the string data I was using except in this one place that was just before it was being shown on the window… In that case I was first saving the data to an IMDD (In Memory Database Driver) table using a CSTRING(1000). So of course, my displayed data was no bigger than 1000 characters!

Can you come on next week and give us a short chat about what you are going to talk about at DevCon and why you want to go?

John{PROP:Hickey} & Arnold Young

I am coming to CIDC2013!

The last (and only!) Devcon I went to was the Aussie DevCon, Sydney 2007. Lots of fun though I only managed to meet a few of the visitors. Since then I have gotten to know a few more of you lovely Clarion folks online and I am looking forward to meeting everyone in person.

Of course I also hope to increase the profile for my Clarion related projects and demonstrate to everyone just how much their development lives can be improved 🙂 John and Arnold have helped out immensely with getting me over there for CIDC2013 and I am looking forward to a super conference!

Latest News…

  • The Beta is progressing, go and sign up if you are interested!
  • ClarionAddin updates for Clarion 9 compatibility have been released along with updated product download emails and the newsletter should be heading out soon. (Please let me know if you still cannot download addin updates!)
  • Checkout the roadmap for a general idea of where Devstart.io is headed.
  • I just updated the Devstart.io beta installer to be C3PA friendly.
  • And now there is a video walkthrough of the devstart.io beta for you to checkout!!

As mentioned in a previous post I have been working on a new StartPage for the Clarion IDE. This resulted in a crash course of ruby, jekyll, html, javascript and a whole bunch of other things in the last week with me scrabbling madly to get some structure in place for the new devstart.io project. The details are still in a huge amount of flux but the basic idea is to have a super useful IDE StartPage that looks great and does what you need, and of course a bunch of other things you might need sometimes or might not but are also cool 🙂

Update 23 July 2013 – I have added another screenshot!!!

Update 29 July 2013 – Another screenshot, almost ready for general beta release!!

At the same time I am working hard on bringing all the ClarionAddins into the fold and compatibility with Clarion9 along the way. This is progressing well and I hope to have some results in a few weeks. The major push for the outline of this work is pretty much done. The next step is to workup a more details road-map showing what features are coming up and their expected delivery dates.

So this is really just a teaser at the moment but please ask questions and send feature requests!

image image image

 

Beta v2.1!

 

-brahn

p.s. https://devstart.io <– I finally found an excuse to grab me an IO domain